Here are a few of my selection criteria for using WordPress Plugins for myself and for clients.
You may occasionally see strange things on this site as I frequently test plugins and themes.
- What is the latest version of WordPress it supports?
- Does it have market penetration?
- Is it consistently updated?
- How long has it been around and how long is it anticipated to remain?
- Are there free and paid modules?
- Paid plugins have the appearance of being maintained over time and are theoretically better for the end user
- Does it interfere with other plugins?
- Is it responsive (where applicable)
- Is it secure?
- Can it be easily modified by the end user (client) once it is in their hands?
- Can the end user easily break the site using it?
If you have any other suggestions, please add to the comments below!